Plastic pollution is an undeniable problem because this is something we can obviously see and measure. Reducing plastic waste can help lessen trash that goes to landfill, lessen wildlife hazards, especially at sea and reduce the use of limited fossil fuel.
Instead of throwing away PET bottles to landfill, we can turn them into something useful - like fabrics!
Let's see how many plastic bottles are used to make one roll of fabric. In a gist, we need to know the weight of the fabric roll and compare it to the weight of the plastic bottles.
We need to consider the type of fabric, since different fabrics have different weights, they also have different percentages of recycled polyester in them. We also need to consider that there are some waste or by products during the recycling process, so it's not a one to one straight forward computation.
With those notes in mind, let's begin computing! Let's use our renu™210 as an example.
renu™210 is 210 gsm.
1 roll has 50 meters.
Fabric width is 320cm.
1. Calculate how many kilograms the fabric weigh per meter: fabric weight in gsm/1000 x width in cm/100 = weight in kg per meter fabric;
210gsm/1000 x 320cm/100 = 0.672 x 3.2 = 2.1504kg
2. Calculate kilos per fabric roll: number of meters per roll x weight in kilos per meter = kg per roll
50m x 2.1504kg = 107.52kg
3. Calculate kilos for yarn (there is about 20% fiber lost in the production): kilos per roll / 0.8 = kilos used for yarns
107.52kg / 0.8 = 134.40kg
4. Calculate percentage of of recycled polyester used: e.g. for a fabric that is 70% Recycled Polyester 30% Cotton, it will be "kg use for yarns x 0.7" = final kilos used in RPET yarns.
For our example, the fabric is 100% recycled polyester, so no need to compute.
5. Calculate how many bottled been recycled: final kilos used in recycled polyester yarns / weight of plastic bottles. Average weight of 1.5 liter soda plastic bottle is 40 grams.
134.40kg / (40 grams/1000) = 134.40kg / 0.040kg = 3360 1.5-liter bottles
3360 x 1.5-liter plastic soda bottles are recycled for every roll of renu™210.
So with 160sqm per roll of renu™210 fabric (320cm x 50m)
3360 bottles / 160sqm = 21 x 1.5-liter bottles per sqm of the renu™210 fabric
In perspective, if you use 1 x 1.5-liter bottle in a day, you can accumulate the 3360 bottles after 9 year and 2 months and 2 weeks.
Reducing waste is one of the cornerstone principles of OneFrame Ltd. This is one of our contributions to the worldwide pollution problem. We can supply this solution to your brand! Imagine the impact on how much more we can recycle and save if many other brands and manufacturers use sustainable fabrics, we just might be closer to that cleaner and brighter future.